Serving All of Panama City Beach and Lynn Haven, FL with Quality Flood Insurance

Florida Flood Insurance

Many homeowners are surprised to learn their homeowner’s insurance policies don’t cover flooding events. That’s right: Most homeowner’s policies won’t cover flood damage.  


This fact puts Florida residents—so many of whom live on or near coastal floodplains—in a tricky position. For such homeowners, adequate flood insurance isn’t optional; it’s a necessity.

How Does Typical Home Insurance Define ‘Flooding?’

If a pipe in your home burst and flooded your floor, would it be considered a “flooding event” and, thus, not be reimbursed by your homeowner’s policy? Or would it be covered?


If you answered, “Yes, this event should be covered under my homeowner’s insurance policy” (or something similar), you’re correct. A typical homeowner’s insurance policy would likely cover a flooded floor or other water damage to the home caused by a busted pipe (or even a malfunctioning appliance).


What kinds of events then, are classified as “flooding” and are thus not covered under a standard home insurance policy? A heavy rainfall event wherein water rose into your home would be considered flooding. However, other kinds of damage classified as “flood damage” under standard home insurance and flood insurance policies aren’t quite so obvious. In other words, your house doesn’t need to flood with rainwater to sustain “flood damage.” As specified in typical homeowners and flood insurance policies, flood damage also includes:

  • Rain damage

  • Storm surge damage

  • Mud damage

rain drops falling on the street

It’s a guarantee that your existing home insurance (or any home policy you’re considering for purchase) won’t cover the above events.

Where Can I Buy Flood Insurance in Florida?

The overwhelming majority of flood insurance policies across the US—including in Florida—are sold under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP is administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). 


To purchase FEMA flood insurance, you must go through an NFIP-Direct-affiliated agency. Jessica Lyng Insurance has sold flood insurance through NFIP for many years.

What type of Flood Insurance Do I Need?

NFIP flood insurance policies come in two types:

  • Standard Flood Insurance: These policies are designed for residents who live in communities with an active and ongoing flood management plan. Such communities must also be able to demonstrate that they have enacted specific NFIP guidelines to reduce flood-based damages. 
  • Preferred Risk Flood Insurance: These flood policies are designed for residents living in low-to-moderate risk zones. Such residents aren’t necessarily required to purchase flood insurance but have this option in case they experience a small flood or even an unexpectedly large one.

Jessica Lyng Insurance Sells FEMA Flood Insurance

If you’re shopping for flood insurance, we’d love to hear from you! As an NFIP-Direct-affiliated agency, we can help you find and purchase an appropriate flood insurance policy.


We’re glad to speak with you about flood insurance and to answer all your questions too. For a free flood insurance quote, call Jessica Lyng Insurance today at (850) 265-6088! Or for free online flood insurance quote, fill out our online quote form on our contact page!

Scroll to Top